The second new moon of the year is here and it’s a Supermoon (a fancy term that means the moon is slightly closer to the Earth than usual, and may appear to be bigger in the sky)! We all know the stories of the full moon’s influence on human behavior, fostering uncontrollable urges and strange happenings.
But, what happens during the New Moon?
Last year, I became obsessed with finding the answer to this question. I searched through folklore stories, religious readings, astrological accounts and scientific journals. I even looked at a New Moon comic book which (to my horror) turned out to be a graphic novel of that hit teen movie.
The new moon, (sometimes called the “dark moon”), is the phase of the moon that becomes perfectly aligned with the sun. In this phase, the moon is not seen from earth unless it is seen during a solar eclipse and even then, it appears as a silhouette. Here’s some additional points I found interesting:
– During a New Moon a powerful energy portal is opened and anything is possible; it’s a magical time to manifest all that you desire
– During a New Moon one should set intentions for one’s life (what you would like to cultivate, create, manifest etc.)
– The New Moon is the perfect time to start new works
– A time for letting go of the old and preparing for the new
– The best time for wish-fulfillment (a wish expressed in the right way has the power to come true)
– Sow seeds during a New Moon and the benefits can later be reaped with favorable results
– The New Moon phase is the perfect time to contemplate our true purpose
Fun Moon Facts:
– The Moon was formed 4.5 billion years ago and only about 59% of its surface is visible to us on Earth
– The moon is 239,000 miles away from the Earth and it would take 9 years to walk there
– No side of the Moon is constantly dark; the far side of the Moon is alternately lit as the Moon rotates
In this busy world that we live in, we are constantly tasked with the challenge of getting our conscious and subconscious minds to work together and balancing the relationship between our wants and our needs. During a new moon phase, the energy is supposed to be ideal for you to figure out how to marry both minds and merge those wants and needs.
Does this moon magic really work? Does the moon directly impact us at a mental and physical level? These questions I can not answer. What I do know is that in a day and age where everything is a distraction, the new moon seems to be the perfect time during the month to check in and reconnect with ourselves. Am I on track for that promotion? Is this relationship working for me? Is my job fulfilling? What steps do I need to take to get closer to my goal of ________?
Whether or not you will spend this day in prayer and reflection or making wishes for your future, I think the most important thing to think about is – how will you make the best of today?