½ Onion, chopped
Cointreau (orange liqueur)
¼ of a cup Honey
Butter (2 teaspoons)
½ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
½ tsp. Vanilla flavoring
– Wash, peel and chop the yams.
– Chop the onions into medium-sized pieces and then place both the yams and the onions into the pan.
– Pour Cointreau over the onions and yams so that it coats the bottom of the pan (about a half inch) and then mix together so that the liquid covers all of the yams.
– Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla flavoring.
– Pour honey (feel free to add more honey for more sweetness) on top and add the 2 teaspoons of butter.
Place the pan in the oven uncovered for about 10 – 15 minutes. Remove pan and stir; cover with foil and place back into the oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until mixture is extremely soft. Feel free to check on the yams after 25 minutes. If yams are not soft, place them back in the oven for 15 minute intervals. Make sure that there is still a small amount of Cointreau coating the bottom of the pan.
Enjoy this candied, yummy, deliciousness!